Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Art - at what cost?

Today's post is about more rock art; serious rock art - like, say, sculpture using a 340-ton boulder:
Boulder to be used in "Levitated Mass",
an installation by Michael Heiser at LA Museum of Contemporary Art
(photo © THIS BLOG)
Artist Michael Heiser's installation piece called Levitated Mass will consist of this 21' high boulder suspended over a 456'-long trench through which viewers will walk underneath it:

prelim sketch © the artist
(posted at infrascapedesign HERE)
Minor logistical problem, though: the granite boulder Heiser picked for this work is 106 miles from the site. They've build a 290-foot-long transport structure of steel girders to take it thru 3 counties, under permits from 100 governmental bodies, with help from more than 100 utilities, over roads and bridges chosen because they should be able to support the 1.2 million pound load. Total cost is expected to exceed $10M. The moving project is described HERE; a cool video of the preparation process is HERE.

Heiser is considered part of a school of (mostly-American) artists who began doing "Land Art" in the late 1960's (WIKI is HERE). He's done several well-known works in this field, including "Double Negative", 
a 1500-foot-long sculpture for which he blasted and excavated two 30' wide X 50' deep trenches in a desert canyon 80 miles SE of Las Vegas:

Double Negative
(original photo for Las Vegas Sun, by Sam Morris)
Since about 1970, he's been working on a massive work called "City":
"City", work in progress by Michael Heiser
(photo by Tom Vinetz, NY Times);
(satellite images are available from Google Earth HERE)
in which he emulates ancient monuments and mounds in concrete, stone and steel structures up to 70'-80' high and 1/4 mile long (that's a cement truck at right in the photo above). Total cost is expected to exceed $25M; more detail HERE.

So, to recap: $10 million, $25 Million; these are BIG numbers - especially in today's troubled economic times. For some, this cost issue raises a pretty obvious question: Are you KIDDING ME?  Granted, it's all funded with private money, but: are you telling me we couldn't find a better way to spend this money? Valid point, I think. This amounts to artwork competing for resources with basic, survival-level human needs. As one LA Times commenter recently pointed out, this just might be the kind of disconnect that the "Occupy Movement" is talking about.

I'm pondering this point myself.

***************************************
Today's creation is: a forest. We started production (and mailing - first batch went out last night!) of this year's crop of Christmas cards, including a little handmade popup tree insert. I recently posted the image and some prototypes. Last night I made the first 60 of the little buggers:

(photo and design © me)
which was waaay more handwork than I envisioned, but they do really have the feel I wanted. Success, I think - despite the work required.
******************************

6 comments:

obsart said...

Hi,
Thanks for your article and credited photos (more and more scarce on the web!) But what is your point, in the end? Are you rOcK or not? How would we, could we, blame private donors to pay for this (land) art? (maybe the same donors who already give millions to charities...)
Because, you know, even if one can think that the amount of this project is crazy for a rock, it is actually not because it isn't a simple rock but an art piece, and a major one (we dare to say a Gift from the landartist: Heizer’s artwork is unique in that it offers the public, in the heart of the city, the experience of a space on the scale of his earthworks made in the desert, contrasting with the image of the Man with the Golden Bulldozers, cloistered in City, his secret compound.).
Sorry but these 10 millions are just a drop in the bucket... What is your point? Are artists and their donors responsible of the crisis and subprimes and so on and on?! We should be honnest, this master piece of Heizer, like all others ones, is built for a very long-term period. Sustainable (Earth) Art.
Wrong target, we can say. But you wrote Heiser and not Heizer so maybe you were thinking about another of the artists who play with millions of dollars at this time... Beside, 1970 was the very begining of City, but Heizer has really started the works in 1972.

Best regards
OBSART | Observatoire du Land Art

Frank said...

@OBSART:
First: thanks for your thoughtful comment; you present important issues in the best possible way. Also, you correctly called me out on NOT taking a position myself in the original posting. My answer is: I am ROCK. I am also pro-social conscience.

No, I can't criticize private donors for what they do with their money, and you're absolutely right to point out they may already be giving millions to charity. If it weren't for such people, institutions like LACMA itself might not exist. Certainly, massive works like Heizer's (regrettably, I did misspell his name in the original posting) "City" would not exist. I do appreciate what I've seen of that work, and I also agree that its impact is partly due to its scale - it's visible from space, which has HUGE implications as to its meaning for me (I've not seen it myself, but the available imagery is impressive). You also correctly point out that $10 million may be just a "drop in the bucket" on a global financial scale, and I agree that amount certainly wouldn't even begin to solve a single country's current debt crisis.

Still, on a much smaller scale, I'm struck by the impact that $10M could have on, say, an inner-city homeless shelter (whose entire annual budget might only be $5,000) or an African village watching its children die of malaria, or a medical clinic in the mountains of Afghanistan, or a family in Kosovo searching for their loved ones lost in the midst of chaos, or a food pantry supporting families in crisis across a single community. On a human level, the financial figures we are discussing could have HUGE beneficial impact.

It's most certainly true that causes like these already benefit from charitable giving by wealthy patrons of the Arts who also support Earth Art; and yet, I can't help reflecting on how much greater the human need is today. Also, I know my own view is influenced by the number of people in my own life who are struggling under current financial stress. In each such case of which I'm aware, a THOUSAND dollars could turn a life around. Like many artists I know, I've had the privilege of placing work in charity-based Art exhibitions that I KNOW have made a difference; not on a nation-scale, but on a community level. Did it solve a national debt crisis? No, but that personal level - the level of simple human needs - is what seems to be on my mind lately. On that level, the application of "Millions" could do a lot of good.

So, back to your inquiry: I am ROCK -- but I want to keep my eyes open to those around me.
************
A (supposedly-true) story: two volunteers are collecting and cleaning birds on a beach devastated by an oil spill. In despair over the thousands of dead animals before them, one asks: "(W)hy are we even trying? There are so many, we can't possibly make a difference!" The other, releasing a single cleaned-up bird to fly away, answers: "(w)ell, we made a difference to THIS one."

obsart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
obsart said...

Dear Frank,

Thanks for your answer that I just read today. Deep and sensitive. If everyone would think like you do, then the world will be a paradise for sure.

I really hope to meet you, one fine day. Maybe to go and see together Levitated Mass, when The Thing will be definitely completed. Maybe in THOUSAND years!

I would like to add that our "340t-340g" transatlantic action (which you know if you follow www.obsart.blogspot.com) is, in a way, the expression of the world where we live in, the expression of the inequitable world that you describe, and the expression of a worldalizated planet earth with huge gaps between people.

For that matter, the very tiny toy dumper that Regis Perray will move in a few days, at the very same moment than Heizer's one, could be the symbolic expression of this dialectic between two worlds. And I'm sure that it is possible to live and to share life on earth without necessarily being all the same.

The dream of my life is not to win 800 000 dollars per year, but I can understand that people entertain this idea. The only thing which interest me is they respectful attitude or not, if they are able to make their own contribution to the humankind.

Because you finished your comment with a story, let me do the same with a tribute to the French author Jean de la Fontaine: "Don't forget: even the smallest friend is worthwhile!" ("The Lion and The Mouse" http://www.dltk-teach.com/fables/lion/mstory.htm)

All my best
Marc

obsart said...

Hi Frank,
Just for information...

http://obsart.blogspot.com/2012/02/un-bloc-de-180-tonnes-transforme-en.html

All the best
Marc

obsart said...

Hello Franck,
How are you? Did you follow the monolith?
We launched yesterday our transatlantic and symbolic action: http://obsart.blogspot.com/
All the best
Marc